Submitted: 05-01-2007 by mdb

I bought a Rapidfire in the spring of 05 looking for a more stable, but just-as-quick replacement for my kevlar Advantage. I had grown tired of feeling like going out in the wind and chop after work was going to be more trouble than it was worth. I have little experience with a double blade and wasn't interested in making the change so I bought it without a seat and I installed a slider from Wenona. I paddle it exclusively with a single blade.

I find this boat to be everything I want for Adirondack paddling. It has all the stability I'd hoped for with none of the uncomfortable slip in the stern I found with a straight keel boat. The Rapidfire is rapid, allowing me to easily keep up with everyone I could before and informally clocking 8 minutes faster than the Advantage over a regularly paddled one hour route. And while it holds a line without effort, exploring the meanders of the Chubb or Browns Tract is a joy; it goes where you tell it. Often the best of Adirondack paddling has something to do with carries. A piece of pipe insulation on each gunwale to pad your shoulder and thigh and even the longer hops are a snap. Lastly I have to say that while those who know me suggest I might lean a bit hard toward the utilitarian, even I like that this boat is beautiful to look at. As an on-the-water conversation starter, itís better than a puppy on Main Street.

If you are an occasional paddler the boat might be a bit expensive, but if you look forward to your time on the water and the thought of loading up the boat or wind and waves sometimes keeps you from getting out, do some math and youíll find the value added to your paddling life will far exceed the cost for the level of quality and performance youíll find in the Rapidfire.