Submitted: 04-24-2007 by MockSwede

Just finished my 18th Kenduskeag Stream Canoe Race with my 1990 model. Got a few more appreciative comments about it from other boats in the race, like every year, even still racked on car! Bought a red 17' 4"(?) fiberglass as a 'factory second' from OTC factory store with black aluminum gunwales for $600; slight 'fogging' of the gelcoat finish that shop had to point out to me. It's been on lakes and rivers and streams and ocean, ever since, with one to four occupants. Adjustable bow seat (3ft run) works well to solo 'backwards'. I won't part with it. Very good flatwater tracking and glide. I fill her midships with float bags and run Class I - IV in the KSCR yearly and feel she's nimble and responsive in the white stuff and around rocks for her length and chine. She knifes into standing waves, but she is a 'laker' after all, and I'm willing to get wet. I've filled bottom scratches from rocks and repaired lower bow from ledge impact and maintained wood thwarts and cane seats finish as needed and still would not trade this work for a 'maintenance free' plastic boat. Shame on OTC for retiring the mold. If you can get your hands on the Canadienne as used canoe - grab it and start paddling!