Submitted: 04-24-2007 by surfdude

I'm using the Harken Hoister to keep my Wenonah 16' Royalex up out of the way in my garage and it works like a charm. With the canoe weighing 64 lbs I went with the 90 lb model. It does have metal buckles on the nylon webbing which are heavy duty to say the least. True the instructions that come with the hoist leave a lot to be desired but go to http://www.hoister.com/assets/4907.pdf and you'll find a 12 page instruction manual in a pdf format that will make it extremely easy to install. It took me about 2 hours to install and about half of that was trying to find the rafters that are covered with sheet rock. It seems my stud finder does not like to work up side down. I looked at other systems but this one seemed to be the best. I've worked with marine products in Florida for years and Harken is a trusted name when it comes to marine hardware. That and the design is the reason I went with this model as some of the other lifts I looked at seemed a bit on the cheesy side. The only reason I give it a 9 is due to the time I had to find the instruction manual on line and print it out. At over $100 it seems that Harken would include better instruction along with the product. As far as the lift system design and ease of operation, it's a 10.