Submitted: 04-23-2007 by billcoggin

I have been paddling this Scapa around for a couple of seasons now and it has served my flabby out of shape 210 pounds well. My first reason for looking at this boat was it is easy for one guy to handle out of the water. It is light and has a nicely centered carry handle on either side. How many other kayaks in the over 14' class let you comfortably carry them with one hand?

The second reason for getting this boat was speed. I suppose it is because of the narrow beam and lighter weight? In no wake zones you pass the power boats.

The boat is very tippy initially, but you rapidly adjust to it. I recently did a 16 mile trip - 2/3's of which were an open ocean crossing in white capping seas the Scapa and felt very secure. Now I am scuba diving off of it too, and it gets out there faster than the more well known rides.

Didn't give it a 10 because you have to add your own front hatch, but at least you can access it while underway by putting one leg over either side and sliding up to it. That is a super huge storage area up there, you should add the hatch as soon as you get the boat. A snap on style works great (I use a Wilderness Kayak hatch cover).