Submitted: 04-23-2007 by aorourke

I reviewed this carrier last year, but have a couple of comments I would like to add, now that I have a different kayak. My previous kayak (Seaward) sat in this rack very well, and did not move at all. I have sold that kayak, and my new kayak has a different shape than the first, although it was the same length, about 18 and a half feet. The first time I carried my newer kayak in this carrier, it almost rolled off the side of my car, and I had to make an emergency stop to deal with it. Luckily, I was carrying two kayaks at the time, one on the Malone rack, and one on Thule's glide and set. I switched boats, and my problem was solved, as the other boat (Pygmy) fit the rack. However, it is not safe for me to use my Nimbus boat on the Malone rack. I don't know what advice to provide on which boats will work well with this rack, but obviously some work better than others. If your boat fits, it will work well, but if your boat doesn't fit, this rack is unusable.

Piragis Northwoods: