Submitted: 04-19-2007 by CMA

We recently purchased 2 Cayuga 14.6 kayaks, based on reviews, and paddling the kayaks. We liked the way the demo paddled and and the stiffness of the decking when compared to the Necky Manitou 14' which is what we initially intended to purchase.

The kayaks arrived and we picked them up. They were missing the rubber edge seal around the cockpit, ok, we can use them until the edging arrives.

We took them home and had to attach the rudder cables because they are not attached by the factory. Sure would have been nice if they included directions. The cables had no connectors where they attach to the rudder bolts, so my choices were to loop the end over the rudder connecting bolts, or go to the local hardware store and pick up brass bushings to keep from fraying the cable. Ok, bad start, but we really wanted to make this work because we like the kayaks and believe it could all be fixed after the weekend through the dealer. Next day we took them out on the local lake. They were fairly fast, very stable, and extremely comfortable. After 2 hours both cables attaching the rudder cable to the left footrest broke. So, we tied the cable to the footbrace so we could still use them. The rudder on one boat pop down while paddling and would not go back up when pulling on the cable. Well, that was when we decided that although we really liked the kayaks, we should cut our loses, return the Kayaks, get our money back, and purchase a different kayak.

While I do believe that all the information I read in the reviews on this site were accurate, I think that buyers should be aware of the current quality problems that we experienced. Had the kayaks been purchased without the rudder, our issues would have been minimized. By the end of the weekend our enthusiasm for these kayaks was destroyed. We ended up purchasing current designs kayaks since that time and are extremely pleased with the quality and seaworthiness of the kayaks.