Submitted: 04-10-2007 by Mike

I wanted boots that were high enough to keep the water out while making wet foot entries and to walk through the shallows. Boots like the traditional Wellys and Lacross 18 inch rubber boots had substantial tread system and are more bulky than I wanted. I saw the Chota Mukluk Lites at Canoecopia and they seemed to be just what the doctor ordered.

The ad says the fleece-lined 3mm closed-cell neoprene boot keeps you warm and dry up to the knee. They are not fleece lined. They are lined with the fabric normally found in neoprene wet suit material. “Sized extra roomy for use with thick socks”. That is true, so I got size 11 to go on my 10.5 EEE feet. Worn with medium weight wool socks, they fit me close around the ball of the foot and a little loose at the heel. There is room for another layer of socks or one pair of very thick socks.

I have used them in 50 degree water with the mid weight wool socks. They stay up probably because of the cinch strap and their natural tendency to hold their shape. Good for wet foot entry and walking through shallows. Good traction from the tread on submerged branches and slimy rocks. Flexible and very comfortable for kayaking and the little bit of walking I have done in them. The design does not seem to lend itself to really long walks but I have not used them that way so can’t say for sure. I would design a little more take up in the cinch strap it were me.

After a couple hours in the boat, I can start feel the cold through the boat but not too bad. Thicker socks would probably eliminate this issue. Never used them for extended multi day use, but I would think changing your wool or other wicking fiber socks daily would make for very comfy practical kayaking use. Haven’t gone swimming in them yet or stepped in water over the top, so don’t really know how long they take to dry. They never get in the way and you sort of forget about them in the boat. They are just about perfect for the way I use them.