Submitted: 04-02-2007 by R.A.H.

First kayak, picked up after about 2 years of renting other models.

This is the ideal boat for a beginner, stable and roomy. Outfitting left much to be desired as this model did not include bungees, a hatch gasket, or a comfortable seat. However, this leaves it up to the end user, and I bought the hardware to modify it to my liking for about $30.

The only consistent problem I had with this boat was tracking; it held its course about as well as a garbage truck on sheet ice. At least my paddling technique is now highly refined. Also, the cockpit coaming is not angled well enough to retain a sprayskirt at all. I went through three sprayskirts; each one left me with a limited range of movement without them slipping off the coaming. this is a problem in rough water on a cold day.

Verdict: Perfect for beginners, fishermen, nature watchers, and photographers on relatively calm water. For the price this boat is unbeatable, but it still has flaws that will annoy serious paddlers.