Submitted: 03-28-2007 by CDB

I recently bought this paddle as a 55th birthday present to myself. At 210cm, it is a much more aggressive paddle than I was using (MID Swift 230). The Werner Shuna carbon straight shaft is very light and the feathering ferrule is spot on.

The index numbers are a bit lame. It's just a decal that will not stand a chance of remaining over the life of the paddle. A minor quibble. The paddle is beautifully made, crisp and clean. Since the blade is laser cut it leaves a sharp square edge.

I got a tip from Alder Creek Kayak in Portland to "detune" the blade by gently rubbing a round over to the edge of the paddle with some fine (180) sandpaper. The paddle does it's job, but it works me more, at least early in the season as I get in shape.

I have also noticed that as a high angle paddle, the blade traveling close to the gunwale, that I get wetter than with a low angle, longer stick. Just a consequence of angle and arch.

Suspenz: