Submitted: 03-12-2007 by paddledancer
I also did the Allagash in a 186. We found it to be surprisingly stable while doing Chase rapids empty...so much so that I actually found myself standing for a better look several times. The previous writer is correct in that it isn't as fast as a Tripper XL but it's a foot and half shorter than that boat. Longer boats are naturally faster. Carrying capacity is more than needed for a week long trip (sans the beer). Some people complain that the Penobscot doesn't turn well but if it's leaned as it should be and given the correct strokes it turns easily. I've paddled it on open water in mild wind and found it to be responsive enough to keep out of trouble. I'm not sure I'd try it alone on a really windy day though. I'm very happy with this boat as far as tracking and handling with two people in heavy wind.