Submitted: 02-28-2007 by S Lee

I've had my solar for about 3 months now and I am very pleased with it. I am new to kayaking and so cannot compare it with a hard shell kayak, but it does everything that I would wish from a kayak so far. It is quick to inflate, about 10 minutes from unpacking to in the water, appears to be very tough material, I've paddled over rocks which have barely left a mark, and feels very stable in the water. I recently paddled home from work along a local canal and averaged about 4 miles per hour, and to make the 30 min walk from the canal home easier I put the kayak into a medium sized rucksack rather than it's own bag which made carrying more comfortable, but because it is so light carrying it for that length of time was no problem. My only gripe is that with only a back rest I end up sitting in the water that inevitably collects in the bottom form drips and splashes, but i just wear water proof trousers to solve the problem. I've only paddled on canals and lakes so far and no moving water or white water and so cannot comment on its performance in those situations. All in all I am very pleased with this kayak.