Submitted: 02-26-2007 by jdrkayaker

My wife and I have now owned our Tempests for 3 years and have put quite a few miles on them in both flat and bumpy water (2-3 waves). I would reiterate my earlier review that I think these are good boats, however I believe I now understand the complaints with leaky hatches. We always use the bungies that came with the hatches. I had the opportunity to use a Tempest at Sea Kayak Georgia's BCU symposium last October (a great event!). This boat did not have the same hatches that ours did, nor did they have the bungies to secure the hatches to the boat. There was never a day that went by when I didn't have at least a quart of water in the back and day hatches. This is definitely a problem for those who might want to keep their kit dry. So, my strong suggestion is that if you want to assure that your stuff stays dry, use the bungies! If you do, our experience has been that the hatches are pretty water tight.

Balance Solutions, LLC: