Submitted: 02-23-2007 by Curt Johnson

I recently purchased and received an NC17 Overnighter from NC Kayaks. I cannot tell you how pleasant Greg, Doug, Mark and all the folks at NC are to work with. My boat was received in time for a big week end paddle with a local club at Lake Eufala on the Georgia and Alabama line. We arrived Friday afternoon and squared away the cabin in time for a quick paddle. Lake Eufala is about 40-60 miles long and pretty wide where we were located. Weather was 39 and clear with slight breeze. I got settled in for the maiden voyage of my new NC 17 following a local club member across the lake to a wildlife refuge. About two miles out the wind starts blowing a steady 20 mph with gusts up to 30-35 mph. By now I am getting acquainted with the NC17 real quick . The waves quickly rose to 15-16 inches with some white caps. The NC 17 felt right at home in these conditions and I felt my self surfing the waves in fact my partner said I was spanning two waves and rising up and over the oncoming third wave. Due to the curve of the bow the water was breaking right and left and not over the top . I was literally slicing through the oncoming waves like a knife. We were heading to an inlet to get away from the wind and changing course was breeze . Lift a leg and flick your wrist and the NC17 responds like it has a bridle on it. Weather cocking was never a problem even in the gales we were experiencing.

This is my first composite kayak and after 6 years in a Dagger rotomold , I am really really pleased with this boat. The attention to detail, the super hatch covers and just the over all feel and look of the craft has totally renewed my interest in kayaking. Do yourself a favor. Seriously give this boat or it's sisters a look see!! You won't go wrong!