Submitted: 02-19-2007 by Greg

I have a 16' in Royalex bought several years ago. My 2 boys and I were on a camping weekend, and stopped by a flea market sort of store. They were having a big close out sale and were selling off all of their boats. I had sort of thought about buying a canoe, but was not seriously looking. But the prices were right and I decided to look around. They had a lot of cheap boats (not MR), and finally I got the guy to show me a rack of Mad River canoes. I picked up the 16' Explorer and have had lots of fun with it over the years. I have paddled it solo,taken my buys for a spirited float down the Vermillion and loaded it with 4 people for a quiet Sunday afternoon cruise down the Kankakee River.

This has been a great family canoe, for relatively calm waters. It has held up great, despite a particularly tough float on he Vermillion when the water level was too low (we did more walking than floating that day).