Submitted: 02-09-2007 by JMc

I chose the Tripper for camping, fishing, and dealing with the occasional "swift" place. Not much "white" water in MS, although one will encounter small drop-offs, swift gravel bars and many submerged logs, snags, and stumps that can require quick handling at times. This canoe really halls my camping stuff easily. It paddles easily and tracks well loaded or empty. I paddle alone most of the time (or with the Lab sitting in the front) and never have felt awkward or unstable. I'm sure other canoes are faster and more responsive in the rough stuff, but I would not trade. For what I do, (camp and river float fish), this canoe is the real deal. I even tried a 3hp Evinrude on a side mount. I had the feeling that I was flying (because I was), it actually got up and planed out. I know this was very wrong, and I can hear all the "purists" wretching in disbelief as they read this at the thought of a gasoline motor. Hey, I had to create my own whitewater. I only tell you because the canoe handled it well. Though I would not recommend this to others. If one required a motor, a small trolling motor would be more than enough and safer too. There, that's my story. The dog and I love the Tripper, and the friends that have been float fishing with me haven't been complaining either.