Submitted: 02-05-2007 by steve6225

I have owned a Old Town Loon 120 for two years. The Loon120 is a well made, quality kayak. The seat is comfortable, ergonomic, and adjustable, the foot pegs can be adjusted with your foot or your hands, and the deck rigging is adequate for a recreational boat. The stern hatch cover is well designed and watertight. The cockpit is very roomy and the 17.5” X 42.5” cockpit opening is very easy to get into. (I’m 6’-0” Tall Male, 195 lbs; size 12 feet) The Loon tracks well for a 12 foot boat, yet it is still quite easy to turn, and is reasonably fast considering its length and width.

The glued-in Minicell Foam Bulkhead leaked some water into the stern hatch. I repaired this by using clear silicone RTV to reseal the joint on both sides of the bulkhead. A welded in plastic bulkhead would be leak free and much more reliable. If I use a low angle stroke, even with a 230cm paddle, I sometimes hit the knuckle of my thumb on the deck. Rounding the joint between the deck and the hull somewhat would solve the “Skinned Thumb” problem.

Overall this is a great boat to putter around in, fishing, photography, exploring small rivers, lakes, and ponds. However, this boat is not suitable for open water unless you can stay in sight of the shore. The cockpit and cockpit opening is so large that when you capsize, you fall out, “Wet Exits” are very easy, but this boat is not “rollable”. For its intended use, I would buy another Old Town Loon, In fact, I did, I bought a Loon 100 for my son.