Submitted: 04-12-2000 by Bill

Bought a Pack on impulse two days ago. My nearest "outdoor" store also carries auto parts, which are in the back of the store. Walking past the boating section I fell in love on sight. I've always wanted a Wee Lassie and here was Old Town's version sitting prettily on display, calling out to me. My wife said my eyes bulged out like a little boy's! Two days later I get off work early and head for Northern California's famed Smith River, less than a mile from my home. I'd "retired" from kayaking years ago, but the river still calls to me; and I'm far too old to pack my OT Discovery 164's 80 lbs. by myself, so the Pack's light weight really appealed to me.

I agree with everything written here. The only disagreement appears to be in the tracking. Upriver in strong currents, eddies, and Class I rapids, I wasn't comfortable with a single paddle. When Old Town's promotional literature says it is: "well suited to the use of a double-bladed paddle" I believe they mean "highly recommended for river running." However, when I reached the river's estuary I found that I could get 2-3 strokes per side, more if I used a J-stroke. This compares with 3-4 strokes on my 164. Once I figured it out, it was great! And when I was done, I easily made the one-quarter mile portage back to my car, threw it on the roof, strapped it down, and went home.

A great boat. Buy one today. Forget about talking your wife or friend into going canoeing, just put it on top of your car and go! Scoring? 8 with one paddle; 10 with two!