Submitted: 01-22-2007 by leaf-peeper

Why is that some of the better performing kayaks get the axe from the manufacturer, while other models that don’t perform continue to show up on the showroom floor for years to come? I’ve heard it said, more than once… “Why did they stop making the Piccolo?”. People say that this is great kayak for kids and for petite adults, and I know they’re 100% correct. I bought our used Piccolo for my daughter who had been paddling an Old Town Otter previously. She really liked the color of her Otter, which is more important (for a 9 year old) than say… something I like called “tracking”. This boat performs very well, not heavy, decent speed, tracking, fairly nibble. The day hatch behind the cockpit is nice for small items that she feels a need to carry along. Both the original front and rear floatation bags still hold air and provide decent flotation. The seat is simple, but no complaints about comfort. Front and rear deck bungee lines allow her to stow a jacket and such. The black trim around the cockpit (like Old Town) would fall off or come loose until I re-attached it using some Aquaseal. The drain plug in rear comes in handy after she’s done practicing wet exits. If you’re looking for a used Piccolo, you may find we I did; most are well (and I mean very well) used. All those scratches on the hull of the boats you’ll see came about because kids were having fun, lots of fun. If you can’t see past the scratches and want something nicer, keep looking and you’ll eventually find a decent used one like we did.