Submitted: 01-15-2007 by SEG

Update. I find the Manitou II is a great little tandem, at 14'8", for what you get - it has a lot going for in the short length. My wife and I embarked on a short 3 1/2 hour journey. As I mentioned in my first review, I had not had the pleasure of occupying the rear cockpit. There is so much room there, until one could easily slide the seat forward, lock in, and have storage behind the seat as well as the dry storage. The Manitou II, I felt, tracked very well without a rudder system although I am sure it would enhance the experience even more with one. In the calm waters - a couple strong strokes and your gliding far. Passing motor boats leaving behind their wakes didn't damper us a bit. It took boat wakes very well. Stable kayak - for my wife to not feel ill at ease says a lot about the stability of the Manitou II. Upon reaching open water and more winds, the Manitou II kept a fairly well straight track with a slight drift when paddling slowed or coasting. Handles very well in the shallows (1' or less). All in all I rate the Manitou II a 10. For what I know about tandems - Necky has created a very nice tandem. It can get around in some tight places as we found, and will quickly spin about letting you do some backward paddling. We found this rather nice upon spotting a Bald Eagle coming into view and then soaring above. A quick spin and we could watch as we slowly paddled backwards and as the Bald Eagle slowly soared out of sight.