Submitted: 01-08-2007 by Grump

I just picked up an Etrex Venture CX. The Venture does not come with software, a usb cable, or a mem. card. The usb driver and mapsource software can be downloaded from Garmin's websight. The mini usb cable is the same as the one I use for my camera. I allso picked up a 1 gig mem. card, and Inland Lakes usa dvd. The initial setup was a little bit of a pain. The inland lakes software is very easy to use. The entire US fits on the 1 gig mem. It does take a while to load on the gps. I find the gps to be very accurate and easyer to see the small color screen than I first thaught it would be. The gps has so much programing posabilaties that there is a learning curve to learn it inside and out. But basic operation is pretty straight forwared. The owners manual leaves a little to be desired. Garmin has a nice preview of thier map sofware on the websight. You can pick a map program and take a look at it, zoom in,out and move around on the map to see if it is what you are looking for before you go make that purchase. I wanted to give the gps an 8 because of setup and cost of map software at around $100. a map, when it should be $30.-$50. per map. But I like it so much I gave it a 9.