Submitted: 12-29-2006 by Fred L.

I purchased my Tarpon 140 last spring and it has been everything I hoped for. I have had it out in the bay, the ocean, rivers (up to class II), streams, and lakes. I probably logged about 400 miles so far. It tracks quite well, is very stable and is easy to exit and re-enter in any water (deep, choppy, etc.). I have paddled with a group of highly varied kayaks and canoes and had no problem keeping up. If you're a strong paddler you can even stay at the front of the pack over the long haul, even with light touring kayaks. I have paddled up to 28 miles in a day and was very comfortable. The seat is great. It is quite heavy and can be challenging to car top by yourself after a long day of paddling, but it will only make you stronger. I crafted a carrying cart out of pvc that goes up through the scupper holes. It is great for long portages. When I was shopping for a kayak, I had trouble deciding if I should get a sit-in or SOT and which boat to get. I am so happy with the decision to get a Tarpon 140 for my first. I love this kayak and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good all around kayak that will do almost everything from small whitewater, to calm lakes, to ocean and bay, to small windy streams.