Submitted: 12-08-2006 by Ardy

I sold my prowler to a friend a few years ago. It just wasn't for me. I'm more of a round bottom kind of guy. But I will have to say that everyone I paddle with that has one really likes it,and doesn't even want to try anything else. The Prowler has good initial and secondary stability. They ride amazingly dry. I've gone through a big water class 3 rapid first in my Appalachian, paddled solo and taken on a lot of water. Pulled into an eddy to bail out my canoe while waiting for my friends to come down through the same rapid in their Prowler paddled tandem. I figured that they would take on even more water than me. They were laughing and having a good time as the front half of their boat was going airborn off the crest of 3 foot curling waves. They got to the bottom, pulled up next to me, and had hardly taken on a drop!! I guess it's the flat bottom that rides up and over the waves pretty well, along with the recurved bow and stern working to shed water. I have also found that it is a very good boat to put a novice in to shepherd down a river. They feel very stable and secure and I have seen inexperenced paddlers run class 1&2 rapids, and the boat made them look like they knew what they were doing. I've rarely seen a Prowler flip, and when I have was usually when the paddler was really asking for it. Blue Hole was one of the early pioneers of Royalex canoes, and the Prowler was one of their original designs, so you could say it's past the test of time. Blue Hole sold out a couple years ago to a company based in Ontario named Evergreen Canoe company who still makes the Prowler. I'm giving it an 8 because like I said it's just not my type of canoe but I've got several friends that I'm sure would give it a 10. As a novice canoe 10 also.