Submitted: 12-04-2006 by redfish1

I bought my Quest in October of this year and have used it twice. The first time was a short ocean excursion followed by quick trip over to the ICW for an inshore paddle. The second trip was a 4 hour paddle up the southwest fork of the Loxahatchee river in Jupiter, FL. The boat is fast compared to my previous kayak, an Ocean Kayak Malibu 2. It also is a very comfortable albeit wet ride. The bow tends to slice through boat wake instead of climb over the top so water tends to enter the boat over the fore deck. I found that if I hit the wake at an angle and slow down less water comes in. In calm water or small chop the boat does manage to stay fairly dry with the scupper holes plugged. The boat is not self-bailing like my Malibu so a sponge comes in handy. I found the seat to be very comfortable. The hatches are well designed and easy to access even when on the water. The compartments stay dry. The tracking is managable, but not great. A rudder or skeg would be helpful. I think this kayak will fit my needs for fishing and cruising the waters in my area. I'd give it a 9 if the tracking were better.