Submitted: 11-30-2006 by torbin

The Pygmy Coho is a large volume touring boat. This is not a good boat for a smaller paddler but a large paddler (I am 62 and 225) can load up this yak and have plenty of supplies for at least a week. Much longer if you pack like a backpacker. The boat tends to ride high in the water when not loaded but still handles well. Initial and secondary stability are excellent. The boat responds well to leaned turns for a soft chined boat. This boat seemed comfortable from the first time I paddled it. Many others who paddle it feel the same. For me the boat has a well balanced compromise between tracking and maneuverability. A rudder is unnecessary in my opinion. The boat is fast even with its 23 inch beam. I have a custom Redfish Kayak seat in mine and this goes a long way to improve comfort and fit. The standard thermorest seat pad and back band leave quite a bit to be desired. They are comfortable enough but do not offer a good fit for good control of the boat. I prefer paddling this boat over my Pygmy Arctic Tern boat which is also a very nice boat. This boat has great lines and is a looker if built properly. In summary, this is a very good boat for the medium to large paddler.