Submitted: 11-29-2006 by Ardy

I've been paddling for a good many years in many different canoes. I've had as many as eleven canoes at one time including Old Town's Appalachian, Cascade & Penobscot. Also Blue Hole's Prowler, Mad River's Explorer and a few others in the same catagory as the Wenonah Prospector 16. I do alot of wilderness tripping for extended amounts of time. The Appalachian has usually been my boat of choise for the type of rivers I like to paddle (twisty-turny class II,III). This summer I purchased the Wanonah Prospector 16 in Royalex. Wow !! I really love this boat. There's something about it that just seems smarter than my other boats. It has been alot of fun on local class II,III streams paddled solo with minimal gear. I moved the seats nine inches toward the center of the canoe and raised them one and a half inches. This seems just right to me. Like I have said I think this is a great boat and am looking foward to using it on an extended trip this winter on the Rio Grande Lower Canyons. My only complaint is that the Royalex seems a little thin to me compaired to my older Royalex boats, but it is lighter than the Appalachian. Tends to oil can in big choppy stuff, but adjusting the angle can help,also being loaded with gear would probably help too. I would love to give it a 10 but would have to say 9 because of the thiner material. In the last few months it's been the only boat I want to paddle. I would like to try Wenonah's 15 & 17 foot versions of the prospector.