Submitted: 11-27-2006 by dc10md

I am a newby to kayaks. I bought my first one 3 months ago. Prior to this I have always used canoes. In September I bought a Malibu Kayak Extreme. I bought it because of the stability and comfort. While I still like the Malibu I was not happy with the weight which is a bummer about all the plastic boats. While shopping for other stuff at a dealer I noticed the Kestrel 140 SOT composite hybrid. I was very happy to find a SOT in composite at such a good price. Having just bought the Malibu I was a bit reluctant to buy a second boat already but I kept going back and looking at it. I was very impressed with the construction and finish quality.

Needless to say I couldn't resist and I bought it. I am very pleased with my purchase. At first the boat seemed a little tippy but I quickly got used to that. I also had trouble getting a comfotable seat and seating position but I just solved that by slightly modifying a Surf to Summit GTS high back seat. I am very comfortable now. I was in the boat for 3 hours the other day doing some spirited upstream paddling and I was very comfortable.

With my limited experience I find the boat to be very nimble and quick. On the upstream paddle I was easily out performing my colleague's Tarpon 14. I am 6' and 200 lbs. The boat fits me like a glove. If you are looking for a sporst car SOT this is it.