Submitted: 11-14-2006 by greatmeadows
The Elle hull sports a combination of rounded bottom with no definite vee shape and hard chines. What this means in practice is that the primary stability is modest. The boat wants to tilt easily from side to side. This means that tracking is difficult unless some skeg is employed. The fact that the last couple of feet of stern rises up doesn't help matters either. In a beam sea of moderate roughness you're continuously slapping back and forth into the chines. While the secondary is quite good, it's not a comfortable feeling. My boat was Kevlar and quite light at 45 lbs. (no day hatch). The smooth rounded hull shape made for a relatively speedy boat and that same upturned stern made for an impressive easy turner, perhaps the tightest turning 17 I've ever been in. The seat was the most comfortable seat as well and the overall finish and quality superb. I began my kayaking life with soft chined boats and just couldn't get comfortable with the Elle's hard chines and sold the boat after 6 months to someone who had more love for it than I.