Submitted: 11-13-2006 by R Lee

I bought an SE330 kayak about 2 months ago. I purchased it because I RV a lot and couldn’t carry a hardshell on the roof. First, the good points. It is just as easy and quick to set up as the company says. It does get along pretty well for an inflatable but it weathercocks rather bad in even a fairly light wind. All in all though, I am not too disappointed in the performance, ( but I have to say that with two average sized adults, it is very cramped). Now the really bad points. I have been very very careful with this boat and have only paddled in protected flatwater. In the two months that I have owned it, it has punctured once and now one of the valves has started leaking. Believe me, it is no fun to get a half mile out and have to race back while watching one side of your boat get floppy. It might be rated for class III water but you wouldn’t find me trusting it that far. I called the company to request a replacement valve (which they willingly did) and while I had them on the line I told them about how disappointed I was in my purchase and that if it had been within the 30 day trial period, I would be sending it back to them. The person I spoke with was not rude but their lack of concern was palpable.

All in all, my advice to anyone thinking about buying this boat is to make sure that it is what you want before you get to the end of your 30 day trial period. I am fairly new to kayaking and felt this was a good entry level boat for me. I’m already wanting to upgrade to something with a bit more performance (even if the boat had been trouble free). If you just want a boat that saves space and you just want to go out for an occasional paddle on calm water, it might be fine for you. If you are thinking about getting serious about kayaking, look into the foldables or a hardshell.

Pelican Intl.: