Submitted: 11-06-2006 by tssplash
Before beginning, it's fair to make in known that I bought this video not only to help support p.net, but since there appears be a severe lack of paddling videos out there just showing paddlers seakayaking on the ocean, tripping, camping, and just having a good time, I thought this looked like the most promising in the p.net store to not have just ALL skills instruction in it.

Since I couldn't get the feedback I was searching for before hand on this DVD, I took the chance, and bought it anyway. Now ofcourse, after viewing it, I know that it's just basically just another video containing an overview of skills alone. No tripping, no camping, nothing actually showing what others pack, how they plan plan their trips, etc...And I did find it very surprising that it won awards for best instructional video due to it basically being just a quick run through.

For instruction, as far as I can see it's another video giving an OVERVIEW of the basic skills that the majority of paddlers today seem to have put so much faith in. I'm sure that most paddlers who believe in the effectiveness of ALL these teachings, would find this an adequate overview for an introduction to kayaking, and skills video. I don't find alot of these skills at all practical in real life threatening self-rescue situations. Nor did I consider this complete, even as an overview. The persons giving the instruction also admitted more than once that it is not complete, despite what the title claims.

In fairness, there is some good skills instruction, and information in the video that would benefit paddlers who are wanting to learn. And the ppl doing it seemed to be having at least some fun, which did make it more fun than boring. I did find it refreshing watching them ride the big ocean tidal currents in long sea-kayaks instead of the usual WW kayaks for a change.

Beautiful scenery, overview of MOST skills, some practical, some not in my opinion, and fun to watch the wave, and tidal currents surfing.

Worth the $$$. Not to me. Would it be worth the $$$ instructionalwise to a novice, or intermediate. Probably so to a novice. Possibly to an intermediate depending. Worth it to anyone else for a fun video? Depends if you are as desperate to find just a regular fun seakayaking/camping video as I was. But having this input? That's ofcourse up to you. That being said, I just can't bring myself to recommend it. Wish I could.

Just wish I could've gotten some helpful feedback before I made the purchase. Could've invested that $30 on something a bit more worthwhile. But since it went to support P.net, I don't feel so bad.