Submitted: 11-02-2006 by NorthernMainer

My wife and I were kind of new to kayaking this year but were avid canoe people before. We've lived on the lake for 10 years now but just started kayaking this summer. We wanted something stable as we often experience white caps on our 2,500 acre lake. We borrowed a couple of 138 Old Town Loons, the older model Loon, from some friends and liked the stability etc. We also tried some Waldens that were ok and a couple of off brands. We decided we liked the Old Town so we tried some from a dealer up here. We tried the Adventure but found the initial stability to be a bit tipsy. We also tried the Dirigo but all said and done my wife was in love with the new Loon 120 and I with the old style Loon 139 that was the same mold as the Predator. So we bought my wife the Ď06 Loon 120 and I was looking for an older Loon 138. I liked the larger cockpit in the older Loon and the molded seat too. Ended up finding a Ď05 Predator and that was my boat. We've been in 2 to 3 foot white caps with them and never took in any water at all. As a matter of fact we faired better going sideways with the white caps. Just like a corked bottle. Anyone looking for a very stable kayak that tracks well and moves through the water fine would do good to look for an older Loon or a Predator. The only draw back is Old Town discontinued the 138 Predator for '07. Now only the 111 and 140 are available. The 140 has such a big cockpit that you may as well be in a canoe. The new Loons are great too except the cockpit is a bit smaller than the older ones and they have that new style seat that I donít care for but thats only personal opinion. They do have a rear dry hatch and thats a big plus. I ordered a kit from Old Town to install one on my Predator. It says Loon on it so now Iím going to have a Predator Loon!! I give a 10 to both these boats!!!