Submitted: 10-22-2006 by Charles Lankford

Iím new to kayaking and bought the Tampico 135 L after trying out a few boats at a demo session at a local lake. Iíve only been out in the boat 3 times and never in really rough water but so far but it seems to be a solid boat. Itís light, fairly stable and paddles easily. It turns well but lacks directional stability (that could be due to my technique or lack there-of). The boat also seams to weathercock in the wind. (That may also be due to my technique.) Fit and finish is good and the bulkheads are water tight. The seat is comfortable but the seat back height adjustment mechanism was not initially functional. Widening the plastic slot in the seat back with an exacto knife fixed it. THe boat looks great and is light enought to handle by myself. Overall, the boat is a great one for beginners but Iíve already found myself looking forward to making the move to a true touring boat. Iím only rating it a 7 because I donít really have enough experience to compare it to anything else.