Submitted: 10-20-2006 by David Coffin

After doing a lot of research (including going to two demo days and trying out 10+ kayaks on the water) I decided on a Prowler 13 for my first kayak. I bought it in May and so far, I love it. I use it to fish 90% of the time, and it has plenty of space for all my gear and gadgets. It has a good compromise of speed and stability. I am 6' tall, 185 lbs and I have plenty of capacity for extra stuff, yet the kayak is still pretty quick and I can turn it easily. I recently went on a fishing trip with a friend in a 12' sit-in made by Old Town, and we noticed that at moderate paddling speed, his yak started to produce an annoying wake while mine was still very quiet. Also, at first I felt like the kayak would drift a little while tracking, but after I'd been out in it a few times the problem stopped. Must've been my fault, not the kayak's... I didn't bother getting scupper plugs, and my seat still stays dry. Water does pool at the bottom of the foot rests, but my water sandals are thick enough to keep my feet up out of the water. The hull is very durable, and I've scraped over a couple oyster bars with only some superficial scratches on the hull to show for it. In my experience, I only get hull slap from small, choppy waves - ripples are no problem, and it just floats over bigger swells. Most of the time when I paddle through shallow, muddy water I don't scare away the catfish/sting rays/whatever until they're close enough to touch with my paddle. If it wasn't for the occasional hull slap, I'd give it 9 or 10 stars.

Botetourt County Tourism: