Submitted: 10-12-2006 by maylukay

I purchased the Old Town Dirigo 2 years ago new and haven't been sorry. One of the reasons I chose this boat was for the weight. I'm 5'3", 125 pounds and can load and unload this boat on my Saturn without problem. It's a great length for river-running, handling Class I or II rapids well, as well as a great boat for calmer lakes. On the ocean or larger, choppier lakes waves will kick up over the bow quite a bit and the tracking leaves something to be desired, but for a smaller, wider boat, that's to be expected. The biggest bonus is the great dry storage and comfort. A very nice beginner boat. Old Town offered a free Camelback with the purchase of their kayak when I bought it. I sent in my rebate and they told me they were out of Camelbacks and that I could expect none. I was not impressed with the company's customer relations, because the free camelback was also a factor in me purchasing the boat. It took them an entire year, but this past summer I did finally receive a camelback in the mail. I'm guessing a lot of customers were just as unhappy as I was, which is why they came through on the deal. So...be wary of deals offered by this manufactorer.

Botetourt County Tourism: