Submitted: 10-12-2006 by carol49

I posted a review when I first got my Cayuga 146 in early summer and had a chance to get out many times in it over the summer so thought I could add some more information. First off...I love it and have no significant criticisms. It is an ideal kayak for a woman because it is only a bit more than 50 pounds. It is very stable and suitable for full day trips with a fair bit of gear. I am about 150 pounds and 5'8" and I feel it "fits" me very well. The knee braces are padded and seat adjustable. I recommend trying several kayak brands in this size range to find one that is comfortable for your personal needs.

It suits my needs perfectly and so far has handled well in all conditions I have had it out in. I kayak in relatively small lakes or bays sheltered by islands in larger lakes in Northern Ontario, generally going about 4 to 5 miles in one direction and then returning, so I almost always have wind in one direction. The kayak handles very well in wind and with the spray skirt if any waves break over the boat it is fine. Once I get it moving along it seems to just fly (compaired to canoeing)tracks straight, turns well and is comfortable. The small hatch in front of the cockpit is ideal for storing small items and the slope of it holds a map in the perfect place to look at while paddling. When I go out I find the hatches hold plenty of gear for a day trip and I imagine with a lot of care in planning I could overnight with it.

I did not get a rudder but so far have not felt I needed one. The foot braces stay put and are easy to adjust (I have had a problem with some other brands of kayak, especially if there is a rudder, with foot braces slipping). I am glad it is light weight but with the plastic I am not too concerned with a few inevitable scratches.

I can load it easily myself in a truck but because I have a bad hip and am going to have a hip replacement I cannot carry the kayak. I bought a kayak cart which is easy to use and saves having to drag the kayak to get it to the water.

I guess if I could change one thing, on it and it's minor, I would have a hole in the bow as well as the stern for a rope to tie up with when I land for a break.