Submitted: 10-10-2006 by KELLY

I just bought the XK-1 (2003/red)and it presents a slight learning curve. This is a first impression after only 4 hours in it. I'm 250lbs and carry my weight high so the XK-1 can be a little tippy with me. I took a spill the first big water I tried a crossing maneuver on. The open water handling is bit of a chore as it lacks a skeg or rudder. If you are doing some paddling between the whitewater expect some poor tracking, especially into the wind or current. The advanced rocker takes the big swells with ease and it zooms in the white water. It bailed fine and deck firmness was excellent. It is a bit heavy for treking it any great distances (portages) but rides fairly shallow on the water. The thigh straps make great shoulder harnesses for carrying it. Lots of room for me (big guy) and my gear and cooler. The seat doesn't offer great support but it offers some. It is not a touring kayak.