Submitted: 10-05-2006 by dangonflable

This whitewater inflatable is my favorite boat. I used to paddle the earlier model B507 IK116 SB and when this new design came out, i was one of the first to play with it. This boat is named pivot and is indeed much easier to roll than other models. It will surf the waves instead of punching through 'em so less water will enter aboard and facilitate maneuverability. I must note that i have made many modifications to that boat though.

Comments and modifications:

Only 4 holes for bailing is insufficient. My boat have now 20 holes to drain water out and i strap the floor in the front and back so water drains out faster. The seat is positioned too far back. I've added velcro in front of the seat so it can now be positionned more in the middle of the boat(essential for big waves). Also added a 1/2 inch thick foam pad under the seat to be sit higher (better view).

The thigh straps sold with the kayak are weak. I use the thigh straps from the IK 116 SB (B507) since they are built much stronger and won't get loose in a roll. I don't use the dry bag in the back since it renders rolls more difficult to complete. Also added a strap to carry the boat on my shoulders.

One problem I've encountered was with the side attachments for the seat. The plastic buckles should be made stronger (solid) to make sure they won't release from their sockets. I've taken this boat in to class 3 and (short) 4 rapids and 4-6' drops, love it! But, I would not go to the next level because of maneuverability and lack of rigidity.

Pictures of the modifications are available on request.

Thunder Bay Tourism: