Submitted: 10-02-2006 by Easkydude

I own a P & H capella RM 166 which has a built in recess for a Silva compass. I liked the location so got some sturdy black foam and cut it to 95x95mm, and 40mm high at one side down to 3mm at the other-a wedge shape. I used small velcro pieces(stick-on)and this now gives a level foam platform to put the compass on. I had to modify the bungees and used the existing deck fittings in a 3-way style but the result is pretty damn good..oh- the compass is a quality bit of kit too, my only problem is that the rubber housing is a little too soft and distorts if too much stress is placed on it (over-tight bungees etc). Suunto seem to make a plastic cleat which can be screwed to the deck, which the body of the compass can be stretched over and held in place with 4 plastic pins going through the (now clear) bungee holes, but I don't fancy doing this permanent damage, others may if they can track down the cleat!