Submitted: 10-02-2006 by 2plankr

I have held off reviewing the Tempest 170 Pro for over a year now so I could paddle the kayak in many different types of conditions so after a year and many miles of paddling here is my opinion for what it's worth.

I have read complaints about leaky hatches but this has not been my experience (touch wood) even after many rolls. As long as the hatch covers are on correctly I haven't had a problem. I did have a small amount of water getting into the rear hatch via the skeg cable but Steve showed me how to fix that problem and so far it has not re-appeared. I have paddled similar boats like the NDK Explorer, Boreal Designs Ellesmere, and the CD Gulfstream but in my view the Tempest was the best of the three for me. It did everything I wanted and then some. The seat is far and away the most comfortable I have sat in and made paddling long distances a snap. The outfitting is second to none and makes rolling and bracing considerably easier due to the snug fit. I found initial stability sufficient and secondary stability very reliable. The boat edges like a dream and handles rough water with ease. I can honestly say it has given me the confidence to become a better paddler and I would recommend it highly.