Submitted: 09-29-2006 by Bob

I purchased a Chatam 16 rotomolded, but I also own a Current Design Storm and a Perception Corona. I took the Chatham onto a real lake in the Fingerlake section of N.Y., paddled a total of 16 miles round trip with and against the wind and was disappointed.

This boat surfs beautifully, and you can use your paddle as an outrigger as you glide down the wave face. However, coming back this boat rises and slams with every wave that you paddle through. The feeling is one of hitting the hull with a sledgehammer, with the hull shuddering on every impact. Slam, slam, slam all the way back for 8 miles into the wind. Also with each slam and shudder, a wave of water flies into the air and soakes you from the top of your paddling hat to your sprayskirt. The other boats I own also rise and drop, but without the impact and continual spray this one provides. The day hatch could double as an aquarium. I tried resealing it but to no avail. I just don't use it unless things are drybagged. Nice boat for quiet water, but for tripping or extended paddling where the effects of wind on water come into play,not my choice.

Swift Canoe & Kayak: