Submitted: 09-26-2006 by Madeleine

This was my first boat. I was timid going into the sport and wanted a very stable boat (it is), easy to carry (small enough to put in the back of my pickup), some dry storage for long day trips and ok let's be honest, a pretty color (mystic blue)! It was stable to fish from, handled well in chop and tracked amazingly well. There is plenty of room in the cockpit for water bottles, binoculars, jacket etc. If this is enough for you and you are a smaller sized paddler then this maY be the boat for you. I began to get more serious about the sport and was soon to upgrade to something sleeker and faster. This last summer I put this in a river.The Pungo does not handle anything but deep, slow moving rivers well. The brochure says this but it didn't register until I took it in a shallow river with class 2+ rapids - not a good idea. The hull isn't shaped right and won't maneuver well in fast current when you need to control the boat. Cons: the closed cell foam insert they put up front is hokey, doesn't fit well and mine fell out and is now lost. Also they sealed the rear hatch area but didn't move the drain hole. So the drain hole only provides drainage to the small rear hatch area and not where it is needed. (2005 model)