Submitted: 09-25-2006 by tssplash
I bought my Seayak about 7 years ago. After paddling this kayak literally thousands of miles, and putting it through the wringer I am sold on this boat. I liked it so much, that I bought a second one just to have in case. I haven't had the problems with tracking, weathercocking, etc...that I've seen listed here. My seayak do have rudders for the same reason a car has power steering. They are simply more efficient. Without the rudder, the kayak does not track worse than any other seakayak I've paddled. In fact, it tracks far better. I find the Seayak very comfortable in every way. As though it's an extention of my body to the water. The first 3-4 years I had the Seayak, I was paddling around 40-50 miles 3 days a week. I would stop only a few minutes to have lunch, and a couple of 10 minute breaks only to stretch my legs occassionally. I've paddled the Seayak in every environment there is. From Below 0 temps, in icebergs, to well above 100 degree tropical heat, in ocean swells exceeding 15 feet from the trough, in severe gales, through thunderstorms, etc...I even was caught by a tornado once on a lake, and was forced to the shore by 80 mile per hour gusts. I finally found shelter, and left the kayak about 80 feet above the breaking waves on shore, and when I went back to retreive it later it was gone. I finally found it buried vertically in a tree, with the bow upwards, and the stern 10 feet off the ground. I looked the boat over throughly when I got home from this trip, and never found so much as a scratch from the incident. I've paddled the Seayak full force out of heavy surf onto the most jagged, rockiest shores imaginable with nothing more than a few minor scratches. There is no way a composite boat could hold up to this kind of punishment. I've owned many plastic kayaks, and canoes. Nothing holds up like the HTP that the Prijon kayaks use. Not even close. I've entertained at times, getting composite boats, but I've yet to find a need, and have many reasons why not to. I've paddled many composite boats, and don't see any significant advantages other than weight in carrying one to/from the water, or portaging. Still I have no problem with the weight. If I were a smaller, weaker person maybe that would be a factor. The only time I've seen any problem with "oilcanning" is when the straps are to tightly adjusted which seems to be a common problem I see with paddlers today. I can't tell you how many composite boats I've seen busted from overtightening, and how many plastic boats I've seen going down the road with straps adjusted so tight they could almost hold an elephant on top of the car/truck/SUV. Plastic bends. That's the nature of what makes it tough. The true value is in whether is warps or not, and the Seayak doesn't. I've had mine strapped to my rack for days in over 100 degree heat, and when I get to where I'm going, the little flex that is there comes out immediately without any loss of strength in the plastic at all. Each to their own, but I'd take function over vanity any day of the week. There's no way ANY composite boat whatsoever can hold up to what I've put this Seayak through, and it does everything I need it to do otherwise. If I were given the opportunity to trade my Seayak for ANY other kayak in the world I wanted on the basis that I was forced to keep it instead of selling it, or the like, I'd gladly decline that offer without a second thought. I am that satisfied with it. As I said. Each to their own, but I am under the belief that "the proof is in the pudding", and not in how pretty it is, or how much one pays for it.

NRS: