Submitted: 09-25-2006 by overtheside

We bought the roto 140 this summer as our first kayak. We tried several ought and selected this one because it worked well for everyone, from the 90 lb middle schooler to the 6'1" 225 lb old fart. We got it with the rudder also based on past rental experience.

In general we have been pretty happy with it. The pegs easily adjust for whoever is using it. The seat is comfortable. It paddles smoothly with good speed and isn't phased by the hoards of inconsiderate speedboaters we are often exposed to.

The reason I give it only an 8 is that both storage compartments leak. Not while paddling, though we haven't had it out in rough seas yet. The leaks have only occured during capsizes (not all were on purpose... :-) . The rear leaks through it's cover and the front through the bulkhead. The rear compartment probably never collected more than a gallon, but the front section usually ended up between 1/2 and 3/4 full.

I called the dealer about the bulkhead and they called Current Designs. The word I got back is that improperly tying the kayak on my roof could break the factory seal. I suppose it is possible, though I haven't damaged my Wenonah foam core canoe in more than 10 years. The dealer suggested I just get some silicon caulk and re-seal the bulkhead myself....

In summary, a nice boat that we have all had fun with, but we are disappointed in both the dealer and Wenonah.

New York Kayak Co.: