Submitted: 09-22-2006 by p38ah

I've had my 12ft Radisson for two days now. You're probably wondering how I can rate it a 10. I'll start off by saying that this is the only canoe I've ever owned. I've had it in the water once. I deliberately went out on a windy day to see how it would handle. The canoe did great. So how can I rate it a 10 after only one trip? Well the reason is embarassing and depressing. I mentioned earlier that this is the first canoe I've owned. It just so happens it's also the first time I tried to tie a canoe to the top of a car. I bought one of those kits with the foam blocks and ropes etc (I give the kit a rating of 1). Being a windy day you might have figured out that a 35# canoe on top of a few foam blocks with a poorly tied rope traveling 45mph might be a bad combination. It was. The foam blocks flipped, the canoe swung off the drivers side onto the road and scraped across the concrete until the car stopped. There's a dent in the bottom now plus a few areas where the aluminum looks like it almost wore completely through. Part of the foam side was rubbed off by the tire and two of the riveted seams look like they are nearly ground off (no more rubber, just ground flat rivets). I put the canoe back on the car, drove to a small lake, and launched it anyway. It didn't leak and it rowed like I was on ice. I still cannot believe it survived. I call that a 10. Too bad Radisson doesn't give away free canoes for customer testimonials.

I recommend this canoe, just don't ask me for help tying it down if you buy one.