Submitted: 09-18-2006 by BHT

Picked up my Bayou 160 last fall. The first time I used it, the back seat disconnected at one edge (I'm 220 lbs but sat down a bit hard I guess). This spring I sent a letter to Pelican, including a digital picture of the damage, and was very happy to receive a free replacement seat within a couple of weeks. Just be careful sitting down, I guess. I use an electric trolling motor and a 1.2 HP gas motor, which propel the canoe quite well (shouldn't be in too big of a hurry in a canoe anyway). I'm about to add a set of outrigger floats ($174 from castlecraft.com) to add even more stability, since I night fish for walleye in very cold weather and hypothermia doesn't interest me at all. I like being able to transport the canoe on top of an SUV, but agree it's a little heavy (123 lbs) for one person to get into the water and wouldn't want to paddle it alone. That's not really what this model was made for anyway, in my opinion. Love the monster capacity at 900+ lbs - that's a lot of fish! Dollar for dollar, I've been VERY happy with this canoe.