Submitted: 03-25-2000 by PNS

The fiberglass Pachena I recently purchased is an extremely well constructed boat. The boat is designed as a multipurpose kayak with good stability and a large cockpit - the result is that speed and tracking has been compromised.

Positives: Light, around 45 pounds with the rudder. The Relatively short length (14'-1") a real plus when storing and loading. The boat has good Manuverability but only so-so tracking.
Great finish and top quality fittings. A truly beautiful boat to look at. The fiberglass, however is easily scratched. Perfect for fishing (the reason I bought the boat) - very stable! The rear hatch and bulkhead is very well constructed.

Negatives: The boat is really affected by the wind and tends to weathercock - definitely requires the rudder! Tracking could be better. Seat is well constructed but back rest is uncomfortable. The Boat should be designed with a forward drain plug - difficult to flush out cockpit.

Bottom line - If I had to do it all over again I would look for a boat with a little more speed and better tracking. In all fairness, however, I think I would be hard pressed to find the "perfect" combination of speed and stability in a boat under 15'