Submitted: 09-13-2006 by mainman

I just received the Kestrel 140 SOT that I ordered this past April. It was well worth the wait! This is the new sit-on-top version of the Kestrel 140 that came out earlier this year. I have been paddling for the past 5 years. I am 5'10" and 180 lbs. I have only paddled SOTs, everything from from OK Scramblers to WS Tarpon 160s. I'm a recreational paddler who likes to paddle around harbors and behind jetties out here in So. Cal. I'll paddle the open ocean whenever conditions permit. I'm over 50 and car top, so kayak weight is an issue. I rented a Kestrel 140 SOT during a vacation in FLA. and immediately decided to order one. It is made of a composite of fiberglass, kevlar and graphite. At 36 lbs. it is much lighter than any other decent SOT. It is also sleek, especially in the bow. This boat is fast, I think faster than anything else that I have ever paddled. I've been out on it twice so far, both times in the open ocean. It handled the moderate chop and swells very well. It felt tippy at first, but I am adjusting to it and am beginning to trust its stability. I think this boat is going to provide me with the ability to bump up a couple of notches with respect to skills and experience. I'm also impressed with the quality of its construction.