Submitted: 09-11-2006 by DonaldB

Kevlar Kayak. Received from QCC early this August 2006. It's an attractive boat and weighs exactly 48lbs. It is noticeably quicker than a Dagger Specter 15.5 Airalite I purchased earlier this Summer used (and with which I am very pleased). I am 5'8, and weigh 190. This Q700X seems to be a perfect fit for me. It turns very easily (w/o using the rudder), is very easy to get back into from a wet exit, paddle float reentry, easy to assist others with T-rescue, etc. etc., seems quite stable to me, both primary and secondary. It has a solid secondary stability with the skirt on, and a somewhat 'wet' secondary with the skirt off if you want to take it that far over on its edge without a skirt. I guess you are leaning it too far if your side is getting wet & the boat is starting to fill with water. I've only been using it on our local lake in light to moderate winds and small waves (less than 1-2 feet), light 'chop'. I've also had some of the guys with their power boats do some figure 8s around me at a good speed to make some bigger waves & that does not seem to faze this Kayak- they were disappointed that I seemed to be un-capcizable. (I am a former Naval Officer, so I really don't know how to accurately describe conditions on a lake which is about 4 miles wide at its widest points and about 6+ miles long). This was a 'repaired to new condition' boat, and I am well satisfied with the nice looks, light weight,price and handling. It seems to be very well made. My only complaint is that after practicing 3-4 deliberate wet exits & making sure it is 'turtled', so I can practice self-rescue, and reentering over the stern deck, I discovered exactly (as measured with a large kitchen measuring cup)10oz. of water in the forward compartment, and 2.5oz. of water in the aft compartment. Before this most recent water integrity test, I inspected each compartment to make sure each was completely dry, carefully pressed both hatch covers down tightly all around, cinched the nylon straps snug/tight, and took the boat out to the lake & rechecked that both hatch covers were well-secured/pressed down tightly. This small amounts of water were measured after returning home, setting the boat down flat on my garage floor, and sponging out the water from each compartment into the measuring cup. QCC has responded quickly to my recent inquiry about this small amount of water entering the forward and aft compartments, and I will report later if there suggestions remedy this problem. I only have a Perception Carolina 13.5 Airalite (used by my wife), and my Dagger Specter 15.5 Airalite to compare to this kayak. Each of those kayaks has flush hard hatchcovers, also secured to the deck with the nylon clip straps as on the Q700X. Those kayaks have neoprene bungied hatch covers however which are covered/protected by the somewhat flexible airalite covers which seat over top of them. On these two kayaks there is no water leakage, but some condensation inside each compartment, on the new Perception Carolina, and only a very small leakage after multiple deliberate wet exits on the Dagger Specter (a two-year old boat I purchased used this Summer). Since I am new to kayaking, I don't know if this small leakage into the fore and aft bulkheaded compartments is a significant issue or not. I welcome any suggestions & will pass along a followup report after suggestions are received from the nice folks at QCC.COM, and I have had a chance to implement and test whatever their recommentations are. I plan on this being a lake, slow river, fun and exercise boat- I don't have any plans to get into the Pacific Ocean just yet in any of my kayaks, although maybe in the future after I've learned to roll & become better physically conditioned- previously my exercise was almost exclusively lap swimming at the gym (pretty boring), so kayaking adds fun to my exercise.