Submitted: 09-11-2006 by Ben
I have the Airalite (ABS) 2004 model (without a rudder) which I picked up as a new left-over ten days ago. During these ten days I have taken it out on a large motorboat lake eight times. My other boats (current and past): Dagger Blackwater, Necky Manitou 13, Prijon Kodiak, Pyranha H3 255

Fit: I am 6'5", 240 lbs., size 15 feet. This boat fits superbly. Unlike my 17' Prijon Kodiak, where I have to remove the thigh hooks to fit in, this boat lets me use the integrated thigh hooks (which are perfectly positioned for me).

Handling: Leaning and edging are absolutely effortless. Secondary stability seems solid. Just finished a six hour intermediate paddling course where the Specter responded immediately to everything I asked of it. Pleasure boat wakes and jet ski wakes present no problem. Does side-slip somewhat in the wind but this is corrected through edging. Speed is good, comparable to other quality plastic boats. Tracking is a bit soft (perhaps due to the boat's maneuverability).

Outfitting: Seat and backband are extremely comfortable on multi-hour trips. Bungees are functional and conveniently rigged. As others have said, the external hatches do slip a bit but the bulkheads have remained dry. I am a bit concerned at the lack of perimeter lines and plan to add those this winter.

Summation: For the XL guy, I believe this to be an outstanding day tourer.