Submitted: 09-06-2006 by HellFish

Other reviews praising this yak are plentiful---and correct I'd say after having my P13 out four times on inland lakes, with little or no wind. Read those reviews for the good points.

However, the P13 does suffer hull slap with waves of any size, your behind will fall off after a couple of hours on the standard seat, and although it tracks "on a glide" just fine, the bow sways from side to side with each stroke (even taking various stroke techniques into account). I'm thinking a skeg or rudder would be a useful accessory. I want to go the retractable skeg route if possible, just haven't found one for this boat yet. The rudder adds a bunch of "stuff" at too high a price IMHO, and seems as if it might complicate the standard arrangement for foot placement (that is, anyplace you like). Others who have the rudder can weigh in on this.

Oh--while this boat is not excessively heavy, it is a bit awkward for one person to handle when loading/unloading (aren't they all?) I have a sit-in yak that weights just a couple of lbs less, and it too can be a handfull when I move it around alone.

Lastly, I'd recommend the scupper drain plugs for calm water. I weight 195 lbs, and when I pull the plugs out while on the water, water comes into the boat. With ocean waves, I suppose the plugs would actually hold water in the boat, but on calm water they will help keep you dry (dryer actually--as my feet always end up wet from entry/exit and paddle drips). If you buy the plugs, realize that the newer boats take 2 small, 2 medium, and 2 large plugs (you can confirm this at the OK website)

So, would I buy this boat again if I had it to do all over again? You bet---especially if I was big into fishing, or needed to carry a bunch of gear.