Submitted: 09-06-2006 by jaggedfin
I did a lot of research before deciding on the Old Town Cayuga 146. I looked at the Wilderness System Tsunami 140/145, Necky Manitou 14, and the Old Cayuga 146; all were in my price range and locally available. I narrowed it to the Necky Manitou and the Old Town Cayuga. I tested both at a local outfitter and the Manitou had great speed and tracked well but turning required more work (the retractable skeg helped some) and it was always rocky (rolled side to side as you paddled). The Old Town Cayuga just as fast, tracked well, turned very well for a 14+ boat, and very stable at any stage. It had lots nice amenities; a deep dash dry storage (for wallet, keys, etc.), soft padded thigh pads, very comfortable seat, bow and stern dry storage which works as well as most (seen some signs of moisture at times). I have paddled it in the Gulf of Mexico with moderate chop, it handled like a charm. I have paddled down swift flowing narrow creeks and navigated with no problem. The variable layer technology makes certain areas seem a bit thin (i.e. dash area) but thick where it needs to be, which makes a boat of its size very light and easy to manage. Very nice boat; highly recommended.